Someone once said to me ‘You better get with the programme if you want to move forward'. Those wise words of wisdom resonate with more now than ever before. Especially in light of the rapid advancements in machine learning, currently one of the biggest growth areas of A.I. research. For if we don't get clued up on these advancements now individually and as a society, we will be left behind in the new world that is coming.
That simple phrase also provokes a different question, do we really actually ever have a choice over the decisions we make or are we all living in one just big algorithm where the outcome is determined in some way for us.
After studying Free Will for three years and giving a Uni presentation on this very subject. l find myself divided by my personal experiences and beliefs versus science. l don't want to feel that l have limited choices ever but at the same time question if l really do have ‘Free Will'. I remember reading many scientific papers on how scientists may have proved that ‘Free Will' might be an illusion created by our brains. And as Humans, we are convinced that we make conscious choices as we live our lives. But instead, it may be that the brain just convinces itself that it made a free choice from the available options after the decision is made.
However, l feel Knowledge though Self Study, learning and Acceptance lay, l believe at the very heart of adaptability. As without those trAIt's, we would be left residing in old paradigms, patterns and behaviours stifling our own E V O L U T I O N. Change is the only thing we can be sure of, therefore why do so many of us resist it?
But what does A D A P T A B L E really mean? Adaptability is the ability to learn from experience and alter our responses to the changed circumstances or environment which we may find ourselves in. I remember listening to a lecture with Robert Sapolsky the American neuroendocrinologist, author and professor of biology, neurology and neurological sciences at Stanford University. Evidence from his research in the fields of Human Behavioural Biology and Evolutionary Psychology suggests the only difference between us HUMANS and other animals is our ability to change with our environment.
Here are questions to self-check some trAIts that reflect IF YOU ARE adaptable:
- Show willingness to learn new methods, procedures, or techniques and take on new tasks
- Show initiative & self-reliance.
- Look for new ways of doing things and to achieve objectives.
- Draw conclusions from new and changing information.
- Be resourceful with a positive, 'can do' attitude to change.
- Respond with energy to new challenges, the unfamiliar and the unexpected.
- Look for ways to make changes work rather than identifying why change won't work.
- Adjust your methods to deal with a changing situation or emergency.
- Shift your priorities in response to the demands of a situation.
- Bounce back from setbacks and maintain a positive attitude.
- Keep an open mind.
- See the bigger picture.